The Importance Of Regular Professional Cleaning.
What Causes a Clogged Dryer Vent?
Dryer vents clog when enough lint accumulates in the system to cause a blockage. Dryer vent ducts can clog in a variety of ways. For one, a long dryer vent run will clog quicker because the lint has too far to go. It clogs toward the end of the run first where the airflow is slower. Secondly, if there are turns or curves in the ductwork, lint will build up there. And I if the transition hose is crushed from the back of the dryer that connects to the ductwork, you get less airflow causing clogged dryer vents. On the outside of the house is a termination vent. Those can get lint stuck on them which also creates a clogged dryer vent duct.
Why should I have my dryer vents cleaned?
Answer: Dryer Vent Cleaning is a simple solution to many problems. Restricted airflow causes lint build-up and excessive heat can ignite materials in the dryer vent, resulting in a dryer fire. Due to this, the National Fire Protection Association recommends having your dryer vent cleaned annually. Most homeowners fail to include dryer vent cleaning on their list of yearly maintenance service calls. In 2005, the NFPA estimated that over 14,500 residential fires were caused by clothes dryer vents, causing over 440 injuries, including 14 deaths and over $207 million dollars in property damage.
Situations when you know it is time to have your dryer vent professionally cleaned:
- It has been a year or more since the last time it was cleaned
- You have drying times that surpass 35-40 minutes
- Your clothes are abnormally hot to the touch after drying
- Your vent hood flap does not open during a dryer’s operation
Here are some facts
- Dryer vents clogged with lint and debris cost on average about $18-24 more per month
- There are 15,500 fires (on average) per year caused by dirty or clogged dryer vents
- Dryer manufacturers recommend you clean your dryer vent every year (some commercial properties need to clean more often due to increased use of dryers, i.e. salons)
- Regular dryer vent maintenance prolongs the life of your dryer